Welcome to Space

The Space has always been my greatest fascination. The endless dimension where you can let your soul float and your mind wonder about this great secret. This site is for my personal general interests and not limited to Space. The name is a tribute to the wonders of Space. Izzat Sajdi

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Antidisestablishmentarianism

When I was in Grade 10, we asked our English teacher, Mr. George Khoury, about the longest word in the English language. He said :" Antidisestablishmentarianism".

Mr. Koury also taught us European History. He was an excellent teacher. Since then, I used to check the dictionaries for this word but with no success. I doubted that I may have the wrong spelling. However, and to my pleasure, I found the word listed in Wikipedia. My spelling was correct. Here is the definition from Wikipedia:

Antidisestablishmentarianism originated in the context of the nineteenth century Church of England, where "antidisestablishmentarians" were opposed to proposals to remove the Church's status as the state church of England. The movement succeeded in England, but failed in Ireland and Wales, with the Church of Ireland being disestablished in 1871 and the Church of Wales in 1920. Antidisestablishmentarian members of the Free Church of Scotland delayed merger with the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland in a dispute about the position of the Church of Scotland.